Two years ago I got this brilliant idea. I was going to start a tech blog. I loved talking about anything shiny with lots of buttons to push, and my wife and friends were getting tired of listening to me prattle on about G+, Glass, Chromebooks, etc. The internet would be the perfect dumping ground for my thoughts and opinions.
I also run a community theatre and at the time, we were operating out of a church. If I wasn't directly involved in directing or acting in a production, I had a little extra time on my hands. Just perfect for a small, part time blog. How much work could one blog be?
I started with a Google blogger site, which was easy to use and perfect for what I needed. Then I got my hands on a power bloggers guide. Suddenly I had to have more. The guide said I needed to pay for hosting and create my own site, so that when I was making my fortune off my blog, I could sell it for big money. The guide recommended using Word Press so that I could build the ultimate site with templates and plugins and gadgets and widgets and such. It also said that if I wanted to be successful, I had to write everyday, or at least find content to post everyday. And don't forget to promote your blog on social media and work on driving new traffic to your.
Suddenly, my fun little part time blog had become an all encompassing monster. I worked at it full time for 6 months and was just starting to make headway. Then we found our own spot to run our theatre out of full time. Suddenly, my part time theatre gig turned into a full time theatre manager/director/actor gig.
I tried to juggle both, but as I watched my visitors to site and ad revenue start to slip, the blog became more stressful then fun. It had been my dream for about 8 months to be a world famous blogger. It was my lifelong dream to own my own theatre. So I shelved the blog.
Over the last couple of months, I have realized I missed blogging. I miss interacting, and sharing my opinions, and writing. I don't miss the all the must dominate the world and make a billion dollars stress that my blog became.
So here I am then. Back on blogger, where it is simple, easy and joyful. The blog will be about whatever the hell I feel like sharing or rambling on about on a particular day. That usually means tech, Disney or movies, but may include religion, politics, or recipes just to mix it up a little. If you have opinions or articles that you'd like to post here, just let me know. Comments are always welcome. The goal here is to create a community that is informal, relaxed, and fun. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment